Sunday 21 August 2011

Days gone by and the 'A' issues


In life certain events come so rare that when they do, special attention must be paid. Events like solar eclipses, nuclear explosion and getting a movie ticket for free require focus. Something just so rare happened again. One evening at a restaurant in very typical Delhi fashion three fabulous girl-friends found themselves detained and overloaded with assignments at the exact same time. In order to celebrate the occasion and lessen their pain they decided to call for a hangout party.
     Sarah Ali and Samira Roy, my two single and fabulous friends (looking not so fabulous this time) were having a heartfelt conversation about their so called ‘A’ issues. Sarah had certain problem with her landlord; turns out her ‘A’ issue was the search of a decent ‘Apartment’ in a city were you can’t even find some decent air to breath. As for Samera her ‘A’ issue was a little more complicated to absorb; ‘Affair’ with a man who left her without much of a notice. Listening to both of them I had a thought, Aren’t we all surrounded by these ‘A’ issues? Or we just want to visited by ‘the ghosts of life in past’?
           “Remember the school days when every thing felt so exciting and even the word ‘break’ meant fun. Now it’s ‘break up’ and ‘break down’ and it keeps getting worse. What’s next?” Samira was frustrated and it had affected her sanity to the core. “But my friend Shilpa has a friend Priyanka who has it all. Nice apartment, brilliant job and a great relationship” Sarah was an optimist and it reflected in whatever she said.  But come on, it’s always a friend who knows a friend. Why, I haven’t seen someone who has it all?
            “I mean what is the point in hearing about these apartments, men or jobs, if they are not available.” Just as the words popped out of my mouth, Sarah purged out the optimism inside her. “May be it’s the universe telling you they are still out there.” Then I realized. No ones ever told her that it was the universe telling us that all the good ones are taken. How I wish that someone could trade my life here in Delhi and bring me back ‘the school days’, carefree days and the days gone by. But something inside me says “wake up girl, you have missed the boat!” what the hell?
         Later that night I found myself wondering about ‘Days gone by’. That care free time when our schedules were as wide open as our hearts. The time before affairs, agitation and assignments began to way us all down. I couldn’t help but wonder, does that sense of adventure still flicker inside of us? Or when it comes to being carefree single girls, have we missed the boat? 
            A week after the hangout party I accidently bumped into Sarah at a road corner and surprisingly see looked happy. “Hey you, glowing off the limits. Did you get the apartment?” I asked without delay. “No but I did solve the problem with my landlord. And guess what, it will save me all the troubles of shifting and all that stuff.” she smiled at every word. That moment I realized that school days are over, we need to grow up and look for the solutions to the ‘A’ issues. I knew Sarah had grown up.
         A short while latter I had a thought, may be ‘the past’ is like an anchor holding us back. May be you have set yourself free from ‘who you were’ to become ‘who you will be’.  And just let go of the ‘Days gone by’.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, thanks



    कृपया मेरे ब्लॉग पर भी पधारें.

    ReplyDelete